1) Find a space where you can lie or sit comfortably without being disturbed (have a blanket at hand as you may find that your body temperature reduces as you become more relaxed)
2) Gently close your eyes and center yourself. Notice how your body feels, simply acknowledge and accept it
3) Notice your breathing, do not try to alter it, simply observe
4) Gently on each exhale count 1, on the next count 2 and so on until 10
5) Then begin again at 1
6) Repeat this, if you lose track of your count begin again at 1. When you find yourself drifting off into thought, bring yourself back to 1. Be kind to yourself, it doesn’t matter how many times you drift into thought, what matters is that you become aware that you are doing so and refocus your attention on the count
7) Ideally continue this for at least 5-10 minutes a few times a week
Although an incredibly simple exercise, it is extremely effective in calming the mind and body. With continued use this will help to increase the areas of your brain associated with relaxation creating more peace in all areas of your life
This meditation can be done any time of day. Do it in the morning, to start the day with a clear fresh mind, during the day or at the end of the day to help promote a good night’s sleep.
This exercise forms the first part of a more complex meditation taught alongside many other meditation techniques on the Reiki With Ria, Meditation For Modern Living Program.